old st marys 02.jpg

OLD ST MARY'S

Until the construction of what we now call "St Mary's Church" in 1991, all previous churches serving the people of Bishopstoke had stood on a site near the river known now as "Old St Mary's".

 

The church built in 1825 was constructed of brick and flint with a slate roof. It had Gothic windows and a tower with four pinnacles. Inside it had stained glass and seated 270. The church before that appears to have had a wooden tower, dormer windows in the roof, and steps leading up to an entrance above ground floor. It fell into disrepair and was demolished to make room for the 1825 church.

Bishopstoke Parish Council accepted responsibility for the maintenance of the trees and grounds in 2008.

OLD ST MARY'S